Southern States Bank would like to make you aware of some important steps that you can take to help prevent identity theft:
- Protect your computer by keeping it up-to-date with the latest versions of antivirus and antispyware software.
- Never give out your Social Security number or account number over the telephone unless you initiated the call.
- Never send your personal information through email. Email is never a secure way to send confidential information of any kind. Southern States Bank will never contact you through email for confidential information such as your Social Security number or account number.
- Shred or destroy all personal or financial information before throwing away
- Never share your personal ids/passwords with anyone. Make all passwords difficult to guess and change them frequently.
- Review account statements as soon as you receive them for inaccuracies and report all suspicious activity immediately
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Monitor your credit reports regularly. Contact the 3 major credit bureaus to order a copy of your credit file. Equifax (800) 685-1111, Experian (888) 397-3742, TransUnion (800) 916-8800
For more information about identity theft and how to prevent it click on the following links: